By Dan Lieberman, @LiebermanTweets
SamTrans Route 122 hops all over north San Mateo County at both ends, and begins on the west side of San Francisco. That made it difficult to write the usual column, as it would quickly turn into a laundry list of stores and restaurants (mostly restaurants if I’m honest about it) that wouldn’t be a lot of fun to write or read. Instead, here are eight things to do on the 122:
- Grab a cup of coffee and a pastry – The Bay Area is a safe space to be snobbish about food and coffee. Westborough Square in Daly City has you covered for both, as it is home to both a Paris Baguette and a Philz Coffee. Celebrate you extraness by grabbing your Philtered Soul, then walking right out the door to get a curry croquette and a mango cronut.
- Go bowling – You don’t have to be a White Russian-chugging, Credence-listening lay about to enjoy 10 frames of throwing heavy balls at neatly arranged pins. Bowling alleys are generally untouched by the passage of time, and the Classic Bowling Center is no exception. So grab some beers, put insulting names into the computer for your friends, and try to break 100.
- Try ballroom dancing – If you think you’re into ballroom dancing, you should get to the South San Francisco Municipal Building (I know, but trust me) and watch the seniors from the Buri-Buri throw down. If you’re all about the cha-cha and the samba, this is your stop for Sundays.
- Cosplay Clueless – Fact: Alicia Silverstone is from San Mateo County. Fact: The Serramonte Mall is in San Mateo County. Reasonable hypothesis: Alicia Silverstone may have studied for the role of Cher by hanging out at the Serramonte Mall. Unverified scandalmongering: I used to date Alicia Silverstone in high school, but I lost all the pictures because it was before the digital age. Response from Ms. Silverstone’s attorneys: As if.
- Practice Yoga – You know how you’re already making excuses for not living up to the New Year’s resolutions you haven’t even made yet? Remove “it’s too hard to get to yoga” from the list. Bikram Hot Yoga Daly City is waiting for you at Westlake Shopping Center, and your chakras are all out of alignment. Skip parking, show up, and get sweaty (and don’t forget to courtesy wipe our seats.)
- Sit on Santa’s lap – The big man himself is waiting for you at the Stonestown Galleria. Only you can say for certain if you’re too old for this. That, or that one elf who asked if I was really six last year who didn’t have to be such a jerk about it.
- Get an education – Got a degree? How about a Masters? Or do you just want to learn stuff? Either way, we’ve got you covered. San Francisco State University is a wonderful institution that’s right next to the terminus of the 122’s route. So go learn some things, because as the man said, “Upgrade your gray matter cuz one day it may matter.”
- Write a song – This isn’t really a location on the route, but I think “Eight things to do on the 122” is a good hook for a Warwickish/Bacharachesque I never took music theory, so I’ll leave this to y’all.
On the Move is a monthly blog feature highlighting places to go and things to see on SamTrans bus routes. If you have a suggestion for a future route, please email Public Affairs Specialist Dan Lieberman at firstname.lastname@example.org.